..today I visited Grandad in his rest-home
.. he was in bed .. which I've never seen him do during the day .. as he's always been sitting in his arm-chair with a grin ..
.. he smiled when I arrived and I gave him a big hug ..
.. as he hugged me back I could see the anchor tattoo on his arm ... but it was no longer on his muscular fore-arm like years ago I remember.. but hanging from his older pale thin arms ..
.. whenever I see it it reminds me of him and I when I was younger .. me sitting on his lap .. feeling so safe and warm in his arms .. and him telling me stories or the both of us just sitting quietly watching everyone else ..
... but today he looked very tired .. and his breathing was quite bad ...
.. he still had the light in his eyes but you could see he was not doing well and struggling to stay focused..
.. I thought he was sipping water .. but when I went to re-fill his glass one of the caregivers said it was actually lemonade .. so we gave him more as he was enjoying it so much ..
.. we chatted .. well I mainly talked and he talked where he could ..
.. he was watching Days of Our Lives .. and was enjoying it .. so I was quieter when it was on ..
.. I moved his pillows around as he seemed quite uncomfortable and and that made him seem a bit brighter ..
.. I didn't stay long as he seemed to want to have a rest ..
.. but when I left I gave him another big hug and kiss and told him I loved him ..
.. I was talking to Dad later and he was saying that they would like to move him to the hospital wing, but he and my Aunty would like them to wait until she is back on Saturday, as they'd (Dad and my Aunty) would like to talk it through with Grandad first .. My aunty works in the hospital wings, so she knows all the ins and outs etc ..
.. I said to Dad it would be nice for if when he does pass away for it to be peacefully in his sleep .. he agreed .. but said he would like to be there too .. but it is hard as he is visiting every morning and afternoon .. but he has to work .. and I feel like telling him to for goodness sake take the time off .. my Dad sounds so tired too .. as I bet he isn't sleeping .. and worrying about what his other family members will do if Grandad does pass away .. and the ensuing "crap" that will happen afterwards ... arrghh!
.. but it is nice as all of our family is visiting him and keeping him a little bit of company ..
.. Mum is upset as she has a bad case of the flu and isn't able to go up and see him .. so I said she needs to rest up and look after herself so she does get well so she can ..
.. it sucks when your grandparents get old .. you expect them to be there forever - selfishly .. but they are such a big part of you ..
-----
Also my Aunty (who I don't know well - as my Uncle remarried just recently) .. but is married to my cool Uncle I has been rushed to hospital as she was rolled on by her horse. She has broken ribs, punctured lungs and torn liver .. and sounds like she is very lucky. Uncle I has flown back from Australia to be with her (long story as to why they live in separate countries) .. I'm sending our prayers for her safe and quick recovery ..
-----
Also just got a text to say that the company that employed Alan who was killed in the freak accident at the Engineering plant had pleaded guilty to neglect to provide a safe work environment and the correct procedures/training .. with the sentence to follow on Oct 14, so that's a relief for Elsie.
No comments:
Post a Comment